|HISTORY OF THE PINE GROVE CHURCH|
In the spring, three men and their families: F. M. Jackson (Methodist), D. A. Turner (Methodist) and Hans Lage (Lutheran) met for the purpose of organizing a Sunday School. there were 21 present.
Hans Lage gave ground for a school house, which was made of logs. Sunday School met there for some time.
Virgil Winchell donated land for the present school grounds and a one room structure was erected in a grove of pine trees, thus our school and church name: Pine Grove. This became the Sunday School meeting place.
A two room structure was built. The old building was given to the Sunday School. Virgil Winchell donated land on which to move the one room building for church purposes, thus giving the Sunday School its first home. This Sunday School is the oldest Sunday School in the County.
In the next few years a number of men representing different denominations served as minister: Methodists, Lutheran, Presbyterian and Salvation Army.
Dave Divers passed away and left $1,000 to be used to help build a Methodist Church. Other contributions by the community helped and this church was completed and dedicated April 28, 1907, the first church in Hood River Valley. Rev. H. C. Clark was pastor.
The Conference combined Pine Grove and Odell as one charge with one minister serving both.
The Camp Fire Girls with Mabel Lage as guardian took over the Sunday School and secured Rev. Arthur Butzin, a retired Morovian minister from Alaska to serve as Superintendent. He served in that capacity for 27 years.
The Conference again made the appointment for one minister to serve both Pine Grove and Odell.
Under the direction of the Central District Superintendent the two congregations were merged into one.